Today we are headed to Salmon Glacier & the wildlife viewing area outside of Hyder. Should be a beautiful day! Everytime I checked the weather before leaving it was supposed to rain here. Yesterday the weather reported mostly sunny, so fingers crossed for a dry day!
In case anyone else is thinking of coming to Hyder, there are a couple of things that are helpful to know.
- Most Canadian gas stations can’t scan our credit cards because they don’t have a security chip. To avoid going inside at every stop, get an updated card.
- When in Hyder, AK the closest US bank is in the state of WA. They utilize Canadian currency, not US currency.
- Stewart, BC is 2 miles from Hyder & a much nicer place to stay. The camp host here is super nice, and it is very affordable, so camping is fine. If you are booking a room, go to Stewart. I’ll post pics of Dad’s room later…..
- Hyder calls itself a friendly ghost town. I think Dad said 6 people live here year round.
- Your cell phone doesn’t work & the local wifi is just a tiny bit faster than dial up.